Naadira Chhipa is a South African writer who’s just released her first book – Ink of Inspiration. You might recognize it as I did a review raving over it a while back.
Naadira contacted me a few days ago suggesting an interview and I jumped at the chance – I love interviewing people (I have a licence to be nosy!). Here’s that interview.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed asking the questions!
1) What is your favorite thing about writing?
Writing for me is like breathing. It gifts my heart and my soul a platform on paper (screen). The intensity that builds up in my soul as I write and the flow of my ink which is powered by the rahmah and blessings of Allah is my favourite feeling when writing a particular article. Alhamdulillah.
2) Do you have a particular process or maybe a specific place in your house where you sit and write or does it just flow whenever and wherever it likes?
Good question. Nobody asked me this question ever before! There is no method or process to it. I am not hunched over a laptop or my phone whilst writing. I could be in the kitchen cooking or playing with my toddler in the garden and an idea will pop up in my mind so I will wait until I get a chance to jot down my thoughts but yes I have to be alone and I need silence in order to write.
3) What’s your favourite word in the English language?
Courage. I love that word. I always loved that word. It was my go to word that I repeated a hundred times before reciting any speech or whenever I was extremely nervous. I find strength from words and yes this word is my ultimate favourite.
4) What’s one thing that irritates you when you see it while writing?
Noise. I need to feel the words that I write and listen to them form in the depths of my mind hence I need complete silence to listen to my heart, mind and soul.
5) What’s one thing that no one would expect to hear about you?
I have a phobia of cats.
6) Do you like to read a lot? What’s a book you’d recommend to anyone?
I love reading. Always did and always will. Reading is not my hobby it’s my need.
Yasmin Mogahed’s Reclaim your Heart. Love it.
7) What’s your passion in life (besides writing)?
Assisting other sisters to be the best and do their best. Spreading the message of Islam and incorporating the message of our beautiful deen while trying to mend broken minds and soothe restless souls as well as heal shattered hearts.
8) What’s your pet peeve?
9) Tell me a piece of advice you would give to someone who feels lost?
When your heart is shattered into a million pieces, when your mind is throbbing with sorrow and pain, when your soul is drowning in the depths of darkness…remember Allah is near. Allah knows your difficulties, feels your fears and sees your tears. Allah will heal, restore and beautify your life with happiness and peace once more. The storm will pass, remember who is in control of this ship called life and he will provide the calm to your ocean – Naadira Chhipa
10) What’s your favourite quote, one that inspires you?
Do not get attached to moments, good or bad they all pass – Yasmin Mogahed